The Gothic Quarter is the oldest and biggest preserved historical core of Barcelona, whose history goes back to the first century BC, when the Romans established their town there. Some parts of the Roman city were preserved and can be seen even nowadays.
The construction of the city’s finest gothic building began in 1298. However, it took 600 years until it was completed. The main entrance to the cathedral together with the tower situated just behind the entrance were built according to the original plans of the French architect Charles Galters made in the year 1408.
Interior: The main nave is surrounded with 26 chapels. Near the entrance there is a chapel with a font and a plaque, which informs that 6 Indians, who were brought by Columbus to Spain, were baptized in this chapel.
The crypt of St. Eulàlie (patron saint of Barcelona, who was tortured to death in the 4th century) is situated beneath the main altar.
This gothic palace has been the seat of the Catalan government since 1403. The palace is also a symbol of Catalan independence and democracy.
This palace used to be the residence of Catalan rulers. Nowadays, the building houses one of the exhibitions concerning the history of the city.
Ajuntament (the city hall) was built at the turn of the 14th and 15th centuries. Inside there is Saló de Cent (The One-hundred Room), which is the place where the most famous and important ceremonies are still held.
This church is the purest and the only example of Catalan Gothic. During the civil war (1936) the church was burnt out and just the peripheral walls were preserved. Since then, the interior is plain and spacious and is known for excellent acoustic, hence being a popular place for concerts.